Education, like construction of a building, begins from the ground level. Likewise, improvement of education has to begin from the bottom up. We hope that this survey of schools will motivate communities to assume control over their schools once again.
The following overview offers recent photos of each elementary school listed, and is intended to present a broad snapshot of school conditions based on seven factors:
- whether the school land is clear
- the quality of the roofing
- the condition of the screens and windows and doors
- availability of water and toilets
- whether there are desks and chairs for students
- whether the teachers come to work regularly
- and the availability of textbooks.
The color of the button next to each shows the status:
|GREEN means good|
|YELLOW indicates that there are some problems|
|RED means inadequate.|
Local communities are invited to provide new photos showing improvements in their schools, or brief descriptions telling what has been done in recent months. We will post the photos and update the grades on the seven factors based on what we hear and see. This report card is just a preliminary one, not the final.
If you want to comment publicly on what you see here, visit the new MicSem discussion forum here to submit your comments.
If you wish to email the MicSem staff person that heads our school improvement program, click here.